Savory Sweet Potato Corn Chowder
Chowders are often made with a base or ingredients that are not vegan or vegetarian-friendly. With our Savory Sweet Potato Corn Chowder, you don’t have to worry about whether indulging in chowder will contradict your philosophy on life. It is vegetarian and vegan friendly.
Start off with sweet potato, which sometimes doesn’t get the credit it deserves in terms of what it provides nutritionally. Sweet potato is unlike its cousin the white potato. It is both lower in glycemic index as well as being higher in fiber. Importantly, the sweet potato provides an abundance of vitamin A, C, B2, B1, B5, and B6, which are necessary for healthy skin, eyes, and hair.
Corn is a satisfying, homely addition that will remind you of family cooking without the animal products. Like sweet potatoes, corn sometimes gets overlooked. That is a shame because it is high in antioxidants which are known for preventing against various conditions such as heart disease. Corn also contains lutein and zeaxanthin, which are great for eye health.
These two products come together in our Savory Sweet Potato Corn Chowder. They combine to make a warming bowl for you to enjoy with family and friends.
Vegan Recipe for Sweet Potato Corn Chowder
To make this healthy dish, simply begin by sautéing selected ingredients in your usual soup pot. After six to eight minutes, stir in your desired vegetable broth and milk. Make sure you pick up any delicious bits that may have become stuck on the bottom of the pan. Those bits will provide a boost of flavor, and prevent your soup from burning.
To give your soup a creamier texture, remove two to three cups of the soup, and give them a quick blend. Be sure to exercise caution during this step to avoid burns!
Sprinkle the sweet potato corn chowder with fragrant cilantro, tangy Greek yogurt, and freshly chopped green onions to serve.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 3-4 cup diced sweet potatoes)
- 4 ears of sweet corn, kernels removed from the cob (about 4 cups of corn)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (I like spicy curry powder )
- pinch of ground ginger
- 1 (15oz) light coconut milk from the can
- 2 cups vegetarian broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To garnish, if desired: greek yogurt or goat cheese, cilantro and green onions
- In a large soup pot over medium heat add the olive oil, onion, jalapeno, garlic, sweet potatoes, corn and saute for 6-8 minutes or until potatoes start to soften.
- Season with curry powder and ginger.
- Slowly stir in the milk and vegetarian broth, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan as you stir.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and can easily be pierced with a fork.
- To give a creamy texture, blend 3 cups of the soup (BE CAREFUL WHILE DOING THIS!) then return to the pot.
- Stir to incorporate and season with salt and pepper.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- To serve, sprinkle with cilantro, a swirl of greek yogurt (or a coconut yogurt if vegan) and green onions.
- Makes 4 servings.
Let me show you how to have your cake and eat it too!
Download my 43-page recipe book filled with simple recipes for the foods you love.
Wouldn’t it be cool to eat the foods you crave the most AND have them be healthy? Foods like pastas, burgers, fries, milkshakes, muffins, ice cream, chocolate and more?